Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Beautiful Photo

Bali is a place, that as a Pertharian, you're assumed to have visited. I'm ashamed to admit i made it to 24 years of age before i got there! Aidan persisted and almost one year ago, against all my better judgement, i finally agreed to give it a go.

I.LOVED.IT.

So much so that i jumped at the chance to go back a second time in June to celebrate Dad's 50th Birthday. For me though, i imagine the things that made me fall in love with the place is likely something off putting for the majority of Bali regulars. Things like having kittens under your breakfast table in the mornings, dogs wandering through restaurants while you eat your meals and squirrels stealing the mixed nuts off the bar while you're not looking made the trip truely magical for me. The sad side of it of course is seeing the sick animals, mostly homeless due to Vet Care being something completely out of reach for most of the Balinese, so both basic immunisations and de-sexing simply doesn't happen - this leads to more dogs and more diseases being spread. It broke my heart and i wanted to take each and every dog i passed lying exhausted on the side of the road home with me and make them better.

A few weeks ago a friend sent me an email that had a link to the World Society for the Protection of Animal's Website. Among the many amazing things WSPA needed donations to fund, one really spoke to me. A donation as small as $30 could help the amazing team in Bali immunise 18 dogs and puppies. Thankfully the Balinese Government has given WSPA 6 months to vaccinate 70% of the dog population - if they can achieve this, the mass killing of thousand of dogs and puppies can be eventually stopped.

As if i didn't feel good enough about my tiny little donation - today i recieved a letter with my receipt saying Thank You from WSPA. Along with a photo that made me want to cry - never have i believed more that it is the story behind the photo that makes it beautiful.





I have officially made my new years resolution. To visit the WSPA website(www.wspa.org.au) once a month - find a cause i believe in & donate what i can to help innocent animals suffering through no fault of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment